Photo ids for elections

Starting with the local government elections on Thursday 4th May, you will be required to present a photo id in order to vote.

Most people will have a passport or driving licence but older people, especially, might not.

There are fortunately some alternatives, including:

  • a PASS card (National Proof of Age Standards Scheme)
  • a Blue Badge
  • an older person’s bus pass
  • a disabled person’s bus pass

The government's web site, which explains the new requirement, says "The photo on your ID must look like you. You can still use your ID even if it has expired." However, you might not want to trust to an expired document.

If you're still stuck for a photo id, you can apply for a free Voter Authority Certificate. But you shouldn't leave it to the last minute.