The rule of six

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    Topic starter
      Andy Henderson
      Keymaster

It’s clear from the Government guidance that we will be able to resume group riding subject to the ‘rule of six’ from 29th March. I’ll therefore start arranging rides from 6th April.

The guidance document also raises the possibility of ‘sport participation events’ in larger sizes using organised walking groups as an example. Cycling groups are very similar to walking groups and, arguably, mean less contact between participants. I’m uncertain what standing Sport England has in respect to the regulations but its guidance explicitly mentions group cycle rides alongside walking groups.

However, to be eligible for this exemption, Sport England stipulates the “activity must be formally organised by a qualified instructor, club, national governing body, company or charity and follow sport-specific guidance where appropriate”. In context, I think this means we can’t make that decision as a group, but that we’d need guidance from the U3A Trust. In the absence of any such guidance, I therefore propose to stick to the rule of six for the time being.

Is that OK?

Replies to this topic appear here...

Andy Henderson
      Keymaster

In this document, the Government provides the same stipulation as Sport England. Under ‘Understanding ‘organised sport’ it says:

Where the rules mention ‘organised’ sport, this means sport which is formally organised by a qualified instructor, club, national governing body, company or charity and follows sport-specific guidance.

The same wording as used by Sport England.

Peter Walmsley
      Participant

ok here

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘The rule of six’ is closed to new replies.