September 2021 ride

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
    Topic starter
      Andy Henderson
      Keymaster

I put off the Chichester ride last month. The weather is looking good for Tuesday, so let’s go for it!

There’s a train leaving Havant at 10.46 arriving 10.59 in Chichester. I therefore suggest we meet at Chichester BR station at 11.00. Those who want to do an extra 15 miles can meet me at HIADS at 9.30 to give us plenty of time to get to Chichester direct along the A259 using cycle lanes and cycle paths where possible.

From Chichester BR we’ll use the cycle path through to Westgate, over the railway bridge to join the start of the Salterns Way at Apuldram Lane. My inclination is to stick to the road down to Dell Quay Road. There is an off-road alternative (which is part of the Salterns Way) but the surface isn’t great and it takes us a little out of our way – but we can discuss this on the day and even consider splitting the ride and rejoining further on.

From Dell Quay Road we’ll follow the Salterns Way all the way down to Shipton Green. This is a mix of tarmac and off-road. No need for mountain bike tyres, but uncomfortable for skinny ones.

We’ll then be back on tarmac for all but 200m or so of the rest of the ride.

I suggest we stop for lunch at the Boat House café in Chichester Marina, although it might be a bit early. Last time we did this route we used the Quarterdeck at Itchenor, but I’ve had some recent reports of cyclists being given a poor reception. Bosham is another possibility. We can discuss on the ride.

We’ll then use the ferry to cross from Itchenor over to Bosham. From there we’ll find the back route to Havant and back home.

The distance from Chichester BR to home is around 26 miles (less than three hours on the bike). Those cycling from HIADS will travel an extra 15 miles.

If you plan to join, please let me know which way you’ll be getting to Chichester so we don’t miss you.

Replies to this topic appear here...

David Dodgson
      Participant

Hi Andy,

Unfortunately I am away so will not be able to join you. Have a good ride.

Best wishes

David

Robert Hornby
      Participant

Hi Andy,

sounds good to me, but I will whimp out and go by train to Chi.

cU at Chi Station.

ciao

bob

Mike Bridgman
      Participant

Sounds an interesting route Andy. What time will you arrive at the Spring?

Mike

Andy Henderson
        Keymaster

10am – or maybe a bit before,

Andy

Hi Andy,

I`d like to join you on the ride both ways. Can I meet you somewhere en route?

Martine

Andy Henderson
        Keymaster

Should be at the Spring at 10am or maybe a bit before,

Andy

Mike Bridgman
          Participant

Thanks Andy

I should be with you at The Spring by 10

Mike

Peter Haskell
      Participant

A nice one. Would love to have joined you but as you know I’m away that week.
      If for any reason there’s a rerun the following week I’m there.
      All best

Peter

Peter Walmsley
      Participant

Andy – please include me from 09:30 HIADS

Robert Hornby
      Participant

Hi Andy,  sorry I need to whimp out of tomorrows ride.  Picked up an injury at Centre Parcs and cannot shake it off.

have a great ride.

cheers

Bob

Carol Carter
      Participant

Sorry Andy, we are not able to join you this month.
      Krgds Gil & Carol

Christine Roberts
      Participant

Hi Andy,

Apologies for late reply.

Weather looks great for this unusual ride. However, the French classes have resumed& heading away for a few days tomorrow.

Regards

Chris Roberts

Andy Henderson
      Keymaster

We’ve no takers for the meet at Chichester BR, so I don’t plan to go there. If you are expecting to meet in Chichester please text me (log in to see my number) ASAP.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • The topic ‘September 2021 ride’ is closed to new replies.