October 2016 ride

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    Topic starter
      Andy Henderson
      Keymaster

Weather’s currently looking warm and dry for next Tuesday.

Ann was wondering about a Petersfield ride. We’ve several options:

1. We all go to Petersfield using a train from Havant. The trip back from Petersfield involves the North slope of Buriton Hill which is steep and short – it’s not too far to push up.
      2. We all go to Petersfield by bike and those that want to can get the train back from Havant. That still means going up Buriton Hill but using the less steep southern slope. The hill is, however, quite a bit longer on this side and pushing all the way up isn’t practical.
      3. Some of the group goes up to Petersfield by train and the rest (maybe just me) cycles to meet the group in Petersfield. We could cycle up across Buriton hill (easiest route) or Harting Hill (giving a circular route).
      4. Another possibility I haven’t thought of.

Please add a note below to let me know what you think. If we go for option 3 I’ll need someone to lead the ride from HIADS to the station – let me know if you’re happy to do that.

You’re welcome – of course – to ride part of the way. For example: from HIADS to Havant and back; or from Havant to Petersfield and back (there’s parking at the Spring Centre which is on the route).

Thanks,

Andy

Replies to this topic appear here...

Ann Kent
      Participant

Hi Andy

I am planning to come on the ride next Tuesday, my personal preference would be to take the train to Petersfield, (if they are running) then cycle to Buriton, walk up the steep short hill then enjoy the lovely long downhill to Finchdean

Also just wondering if any of our group are taking part in the Rowans ride on Sunday? I have entered for the 30 mile route.

Ann

Maggi Bridgman
      Participant

Thank you for all these options, Andy. Personally I favour Number 3 with the chance to decide on the return route on the day.

Maggi

Carol Carter
      Participant

Hi, Gil and I would prefer to take the train to Petersfield and cycle back. Krgds Carol

Mike Bridgman
      Participant

What time do you want us to be in Petersfield …what train will you all be on leaving from Havant…?

Ann …good luck on the Rowans Ride …I hope to be there next year

Mike

Robert Hornby
      Participant

Hi Andy,

Train to Petersfield and cycle back.

cheers

Bob

Christine Roberts
      Participant

Hi Andy,

Nursing injured ribs from fall last week.So I shall not join in the ride-apologies..

Chris R

Andy Henderson
      Keymaster

Most of those on the ride want to take the train to Petersfield and cycle back from there. We’ll meet at HIADS at 10am as usual and take a leisurely ride to Havant station. We’ll catch the 11.04 from Havant arriving in Petersfield at 11.17 (we tried to catch the 10.40 before – and failed).

Note that groups of three or more can save one third the ticket price by travelling on a Group Saver ticket.

I plan to cycle – rather than train – to Petersfield with Malcolm and Debbie and anyone else that would like to join us (let me know if that’s you).

The two groups will meet at the Cloisters cafe in the South East corner of the square in Petersfeld.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • The topic ‘October 2016 ride’ is closed to new replies.