28 April 2021 at 5:33 pm #8120
We should be able to ride together for the first time in a while.
The programmed date is 1st June. That’s the bank holiday week and half-term for most schools. I’ve booked to travel north to visit family we haven’t seen in over a year.
So, we’ve a choice of:
- Keeping to the programmed date with someone else leading
- Delaying by a week to 8th June
I have in mind a train-assisted trip to Petersfield or Chichester.
We can perhaps discuss on the May rides.
Replies to this topic appear here...
11 May 2021 at 5:04 pm #8159Peter WalmsleyParticipant
Andy Happy to go any day you choose. Many thanks for saddle advice – had slipped down over time without being aware… Peter
20 May 2021 at 1:50 pm #8225Peter HaskellParticipant
For info will be away on the 8th.
Is a lead required for the 1st June?
22 May 2021 at 7:17 pm #8231Maggi BridgmanParticipant
Hi Andy. Mike and I are free on the 8th and would prefer to do the Chichester ride.
29 May 2021 at 8:51 pm #8243
Peter Haskell will be away for June 8th so he’s offering to lead a ride over to Compton on the 1st. Please let Peter know if you’d like to join him.
I’m still planning to lead a ride on the 8th. My preference is still for a Petersfield trip because:
- We should be able to eat outside together at The George in Finchdean
- Chichester is potentially a long ride and we’d be better doing some more preparation for it
Let me know what you think,
29 May 2021 at 10:07 pm #8246David DodgsonParticipant
I am away on 1st June but would like to join the ride on the 8th June. I am happy with either destination.
30 May 2021 at 6:09 am #8247
I think the 8th will be fine with me, I don’t mind Petersfield or Chichester, but will say Petersfield is my favourite ride.
Enjoy your visit to your family Andy.
Kind regards Ann
30 May 2021 at 12:30 pm #8248Robert HornbyParticipant
Hi Andy, i can only do the 8th if it offered. Regards Bob
31 May 2021 at 8:02 am #8249Martine HebblethwaiteParticipant
Like you we`re away the 1st but would like to join you for the 8th.
Like Ann either destination is good although probably prefer Petersfield.
31 May 2021 at 10:49 am #8250Peter HaskellParticipant
Am now assuming an overflow ride is not needed tomorrow 1st June
Enjoy the weather
1 June 2021 at 4:43 pm #8253Peter WalmsleyParticipant
8th for me please
6 June 2021 at 3:58 pm #8254
We’ll take two routes to Petersfield:
- I’ll leave HIADS at 9am to cycle to Petersfield via Butser Hill – a relatively easy hill over the Downs
- Those not wanting to cycle the whole way should meet at HIADS at 10am with a view to catching the 10.40 train from Havant (or, perhaps, the earlier 10.34) to Petersfield.
There are, of course, other ways to join the train including: parking at The Ship; and getting a train from Portsmouth (for members that live there).
We’ll meet in Café Mezzo – on the south side of the High Street a short distance to the west of the junction with Dragon Street.
We have two obvious routes back:
- Up Butser Hill – a short but very steep hill. Pushing up is not a great hardship and, from the top, it’s a pleasant route back to Rowlands Castle.
- Through the Butser Cutting – a shared walking and cycling path so no traffic. Not as steep a hill, but longer. From the end of the cutting we would go back via Chalton meeting up with the Butser Hill route.
My current inclination is option 1 and I know others will feel the same, but we could split into two groups.
I propose we stop for lunch at the George in Finchdean. Currently we have riders:
- Peter W
I’ll book a table for 7. Please let me know if you won’t be stopping or if I’ve missed you off the list.
6 June 2021 at 6:25 pm #8255
Thank you And
i will take the train from Havant, meet you in Petersfield.
7 June 2021 at 8:12 am #8257David DodgsonParticipant
Sorry I am not going to be able to make it tomorrow. Thought my back had recovered so went for a ride yesterday but really locked up today. So need more rest and recovery.
Hope you have a good ride -weather looks lovely for Tuesday.
7 June 2021 at 3:50 pm #8258Robert HornbyParticipant
i will take the train from Havant so see you in Petersfield.
8 June 2021 at 7:25 am #8259
Good morning, just to let those members meeting at Hiads this morning at 10.00 I will miss out going over to West Town. I will cycle directly up to Havant Station. See you there.
- The topic ‘June 2021 ride’ is closed to new replies.