July 2022 ride

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
    Topic starter
      Andy Henderson
      Keymaster

I’m suggesting a ride to Chichester this month. You can either take the train to Chichester and cycle back, cycle there and train back, or cycle both ways.

There’s a train leaving Havant at 10.46 arriving 10.59 in Chichester. I suggest we meet at Chichester BR station at 11.00. Those who want to do an extra 15 miles can meet me at HIADS at 9.30 to give us plenty of time to get to Chichester direct along the A259 using cycle lanes and cycle paths where possible.

From Chichester BR we’ll use the cycle path through to Westgate, over the railway bridge to join the start of the Salterns Way at Apuldram Lane. My inclination is to stick to the road down to Dell Quay Road. There is an off-road alternative (which is part of the Salterns Way) but the surface isn’t great and it takes us a little out of our way – but we can discuss this on the day and even consider splitting the ride and rejoining further on.

From Dell Quay Road we’ll follow the Salterns Way all the way down to Shipton Green. This is a mix of tarmac and off-road. No need for mountain bike tyres, but uncomfortable for skinny ones.

We’ll then be back on tarmac for all but 200m or so of the rest of the ride.

I suggest we stop for lunch at the Boat House café in Chichester Marina, although it might be a bit early. Bosham is another possibility. We can discuss on the ride.

We’ll then use the ferry to cross from Itchenor over to Bosham. From there we’ll find the back route to Havant and back home.

The distance from Chichester BR to home is around 26 miles (less than three hours on the bike). Those cycling from HIADS will travel an extra 15 miles.

If you plan to join, please let me know which way you’ll be getting to Chichester so we don’t miss you.

Replies to this topic appear here...

Peter Haskell
      Participant

Thanks Andy.

See you for 9.30 at HIADs

Peter

Charles Taylor
      Participant

Can’t make this one, I’m afraid, Andy. Have to take the wife to hospital for a spot of surgery.

Charles

Robert Hornby
      Participant

Hi Andy,

count me in.

cu at hiads

Bob

David Dodgson
      Participant

Hi Andy,

Count me in please. Will meet you at Hiads

David

Hi Andy,

I would like to go if I`m over another cold. I will let you know nearer the time. I will probably get the train there.

Martine

Maggi Bridgman
      Participant

Hi, Andy. Mike and I will meet you at Chichester BR and cycle back to Havant with you.

Maggi

Peter Walmsley
      Participant

Yes please ..see you 09:30 Station theatre

Carol Carter
      Participant

Hi Andy

I will  meet you at Chichester station. Krgds Carol

Ann Kent
      Participant

Good morning Andy, sounds good  I will also meet up with the group at Chichester

Ann

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • The topic ‘July 2022 ride’ is closed to new replies.