April 2017 ride

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
    Topic starter
      Andy Henderson
      Keymaster

The weather’s looking good – so far – for Tuesday.

We talked about the possibility of a ride to/from Petersfield. Last year some of us rode both ways with the rest using the train to Petersfield.

I’d like to suggest that we come back via the new cycle path that goes through the Butser cutting via Queen Elizabeth Country Park, but:

• Although the north to south route is not as steep as Buriton hill, it is definitely a hill and quite long; not an easy one to push up.
      • Having reached QECP there’s another hill up to the A3 intersection roundabout.
      • Buriton hill is steep but short, and the ride from the top through Finchdean to Rowlands Castle is a particularly nice one.

So, instead, I plan to cycle to Petersfield via the Butser Cutting path to meet the train riders at, say, Café Mezzo on Petersfield High Street; assuming they catch the train leaving Havant at 10.40 (possibly optimistic). You will therefore have the choice of:

• Joining me (let me know and we’ll arrange a time and place to meet)
      • Leaving at 10am from HIADS
      • Catching a train to Petersfield, meeting in Havant or Petersfield

Let me know what you think in the comments (you’ll need to log in to the members’ area first) and – if you like the plan and expect to join us – which option you plan to take.

Andy

Replies to this topic appear here...

Hi Andy,

I`ve reset my password to enable me to log in!

Given that the weather is alright I am hoping to cycle both ways. What time are you intending to arrive at Petersfield? I will probably prefer to go out via Buriton and back via QE Park, Chalton and then retrace the outward route home. Could possibly meet you en route somewhere depending on the time.

Martine

Past Member
      Participant

Hi Andy, yes I hope to come along and would like to join you in your suggested route. I could wait at Havant station south side (or Spring Centre) say 10:30 or whatever you suggest. Steve G.

Maggi Bridgman
      Participant

I would like to meet the other riders at the café in Petersfield at about 11, depending on the trains.

Christine Roberts
      Participant

Dear Andy,

I am in the Lake District this week, Portinscale, near Keswick. Weather excellent -a.t.m.-may it continue.

Hope ride goes well.

Regards,

Chris R.

Derek Russell
      Participant

It looks like a good idea.  I’ll aim to join you for both directions, which gives me a “get out” of returning by rail from Petersfield to Havant if either my stamina or the bike’s battery fade.  I assume that you are starting from HIADS at 1000.  Since I live in St Thomas Ave, I will meet you at HIADS.

Here’s hoping for good weather, Derek Russell

Andy Henderson
      Keymaster

It looks like I have several takers for the two-way trip (albeit with Derek’s option of training back from Petersfield).

I’ll be at HIADS at 9.am to take the two-way riders. We’ll meet with Martine and Steve (and anyone else that fancies starting from Havant) at the Spring Centre. We’ll then decide which route to take.

I’ve not had anyone say they are taking the one-way trip starting at HIADS. If that’s what you plan to do, I suggest turning up at 10am to see if there’s anyone there. If not, make your way to Havant station and thence to Petersfield where you should meet some others.

If you don’t have my mobile phone number click here to look up my details on the web site.

Carol Carter
      Participant

Hi Andy

Currently  on a train on our way back from Vienna  just north of Paris . We hope to be at Petersfield for coffee tomorrow. We shall cycle direct to Havant Station and try and catch the 10.34 which is the fast and if no room for bikes will get the 10.40 (slow).

If chunnel   blocked so we cannot make it in time we will text you!!!

A bientôt

Carol & Gil

Maggi Bridgman
      Participant

The weather forecast is for rain most of the day so unless it is looking a lot better first thing Mike and I won’t be cycling tomorrow, sadly. Maggi

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • The topic ‘April 2017 ride’ is closed to new replies.