We'll leave HIADS on Thursday 14th December at 10.00am, and get to the usual pick-up points at 5-minute intervals. We aim to leave Winchester at 4.00pm, so should be back on Hayling by 6pm.
The visit is open to all HIU3A members and will cost £24 per person which covers the cost of the coach and the driver’s gratuity.
Winchester Cathedral Christmas market is recognised as one of the best in Europe. It is renowned for its bustling atmosphere, stunning location and handpicked high quality exhibitors, which attracts visitors from around the world each year who come to shop at the pretty wooden chalets, situated within the historic grounds.
The wooden chalets are inspired by traditional German Christmas markets, and combined with the festive lighting, the sound of Christmas carols and the aroma of mulled wine and cinnamon drifting in the air, you will be transported into a festive setting to purchase their Christmas gifts and take in the atmosphere.
- Winchester Cathedral: a masterpiece of Gothic architecture. Explore its rich history, marvel at the stunning stained glass windows, and perhaps catch a choir performance.
- The Great Hall: Immerse yourself in medieval history at the home to the legendary King Arthur's round table, a captivating symbol of Arthurian legend.
- Winchester City Mill: Delve into the city's industrial past at a fully operational water mill with interactive exhibits and beautiful views of the River Itchen.
- Winchester College: Take a leisurely stroll around one of the country's oldest and most prestigious public schools. Admire its historic architecture and explore the serene college grounds.
- The Westgate Museum: Step back in time at a well-preserved medieval gatehouse-turned-museum that offers intriguing insights into Winchester's history.
- City Centre Exploration: Meander through Winchester's charming city center, where you'll find quaint streets, boutique shops, and inviting cafes – perfect for a leisurely lunch.
- Museums: Depending on your interests, consider visiting the Gurkha Museum or the Military Museums, which provide a fascinating glimpse into military history and the contributions of Gurkha soldiers.
Links to allow you to pay for your visit by card will appear here if you log in, have made a booking and have not yet paid
Cost of the visit is £24 per member.
There are 57 bookable places.
Number awaiting payment: 0, confirmed bookings: 32, waiting list entries: 0.
To make a booking, add yourself to the waiting list, or see the status for your booking(s) you need to log in. Click here to do that now.